Friday, May 18, 2007

3 Days and Counting...

As I was at the gym this morning running on the treadmill, my ponytail kept slapping me in the back. I realized I have 3 days left before I get my hair cut off for Pantene's Beautiful Lengths campaign. To date, we have 1,473 hair donors, including people from 11 different states and Russia. I will miss the versatility of having long hair but I look forward to going through the summer with shorter hair.

This all started when I watched actress Diane Lane get her hair cut on the Today Show last July for Beautiful Lengths. I made a personal commitment to grow my hair for women who have lost theirs due to cancer treatment. Shortly after watching her, I heard the latest statistics on breast cancer: 85% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history. I thought "that is me". I am fortunate that women in my family have not been struck with any of the female cancers.

I found out this week Guinness Book of World Records will send a representative from London to join us this Monday for the hair cutting event. At the conclusion, we will be presented a certificate as we all go down in the record books for the most hair donations to a charity in 24 hours.

My hair will grow back, I know. But I wish I could see the smiles on the faces of the women who will receive our human hair wigs. Maybe I will one day...

Here is a wonderful article on the event in yesterday's Clinton News.

http://www.clintonnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070517/GO/705170316/1010

3 comments:

Robert said...

Hi Barbie: Just letting you know I'll miss your long hair, you really look nice with your hair long and wavey. But it is going for a great cause and like you said it will grow back, I guess I'll just have to get uses to your shorter hair. Keep up the great work that you do on and off the air.

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

i admire you for growing your hair! i'm not able to let mine get very long without it causing headaches, etc. but your short haircut will be cute!!!!

can't wait to see it! and God bless you for your efforts. cancer runs all through my family so the chance is there that someone like you may help me one day!

Junebug said...

Can't wait to see the news tomorrow night!!