Friday, January 26, 2007

The Power of Words

I thoroughly enjoyed my judging experience last night at the Miss Mississippi College pageant. All of the girls were so lovely and articulate. It was tough picking a winner as each girl could've easily walked away with the title.

During dinner, one of my fellow judges thanked me for something I did quite some time ago. She told me how I had judged her step-daughter in the Miss Rankin County pageant several years back. Her step-daughter (Beth) didn't win that night, but she sent me an email asking for a critique. I glady gave Beth some suggestions on what she could work on. I also wrote several paragraphs about how important it was not to take the pageant outcome personally. I suggested she strive for much higher plains, pursue her educational opportunities and to realize the pageant results would not matter in ten years. What will matter is her character and how she decides to serve others.

Truth me told, I had forgotten about my email response to Beth. Her step-mother told me last night, "Thank you for taking the time to tell a young lady to reach for more in her life. She is now singing professionally in Gatlinburg and getting a degree in engineering."

While I was reading the Bible today, I came across Proverbs 12:18 "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

You never know the power and blessings that you words have sown into them.

No comments: