Friday, February 23, 2007

Mean Comments

Someone posted an unflattering remark about me on a message board. It said, "I'm watching Barbie Bassett do the weather right now. That dumb broad doesn't know beans about the weather. I watch wapt.com for local Jackson weather." I don't know Larry (who posted this), but my parents would be very disappointed to know all of the money they spent on my Masters Degree was for nothing.

Do you ever wonder why you are doing your profession? I do. I haven't spoken about this but me and my family were about to move recently. My husband got a wonderful job opportunity that would've caused us to leave Jackson and move 3 hours away, hence me leaving WLBT. After much prayer, we decided not to leave after all.

After reading the above remark and some of the emails I get on a daily basis, I often find myself ready to "leave" this career. The pressure to look a certain way and be a weatherman (instead of a woman) make it difficult at times. Then I think of Noah. People talked about him in ways I'm sure hurt his feelings, too. But God had a bigger plan and He used Noah to fulfill that plan.

On days when I read or hear mean things about myself, I try to remember that God has a plan for all of us. I can't necessarily go to Africa and be a missionary, but I can be a missionary in the career He has called me to do, even if that means that I "don't know beans" about the weather.

5 comments:

KeithAR2002 said...

Hey Barbie,

God led you to the broadcast meteorology profession, and that is why you are there. Don't let a few idiots destroy your spirits! Those kind of people are just not leading happy lives. I've actually moved back to Arkansas (my home state), I've lived in four different places, and you are by far my favorite personality out of everyone I have seen on any station. Unlike a lot of your counterparts, you don't let the fact that you are an on air personaliy get the best of you! I know there are a lot of other people out there that feel the same way.

And regarding "Larry" and his comment, perhaps "Larry" was really an unhappy man named "David" from WAPT =)

Barbie Bassett said...

I'm smiling right now as I read your last paragraph :-)

Wilson said...

I agree, Barbie. Don't let those comments get you down. Words can be very hurtful, but it's wonderful how you have used this situation to inspire others.

I found your blog by chance (after searching around on WLBT site) a couple of months ago and have been reading your blog ever since. (I too started a blog a couple of years ago to keep our family updated on ongoing fertility treatments, sp I'm now addicted). Let me just say that I don't think it was a "chance" at all that I discovered your blog. We all have bad days and yet you always inspire me with your perservering faith and remind me to stay strong in my faith as well. Thanks for all you do. God bless you and your family!

Barbie Bassett said...

Thanks, Sara. Anytime I can use my crazy life to inspire others in their faith walk, I will. We all go through the same things, just on a different level at different times, I believe.

April said...

Barbie,

Don't listen to the idiots out there. You are such a strong woman and that's really what I admire about you. And if you notice, the one who said the stuff about you said it behind you. And that's low. No, that's lower than low.

You've pushed yourself so much. You made your dream a reality. You told me in our interview for my Comp paper that you couldn't see yourself doing anything else besides Meteorology.

Don't listen to the haters. My family and I watch you every night. The guy that said you don't know anything about weather apparently has never seen you do a forecast.

I wrote about something very similar to this about haters on my blog. Maybe when you get a chance, you can read it.

I think we've all had haters in there. Don't listen to them. You're strong and my mentor. You really are. I look up to you. Don't listen to "Larry". He don't know anything about you. ;-)