Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Almost or Altogether?

There are days when I feel like I have everything together. And there are days when I barely remember to put deodorant on. In the same way, there are almost Christians and then there are altogether Christians.

In Acts 26, Paul was witnessing to King Agrippa and his right hand man, Festus. Paul told of his Damascus road experience, the type of life he used to live and how he had changed to fully serve God. In verse 24, the Bible says, "And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, "Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad." But Paul said, "I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness. For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest." Then Agrippa said unto Paul, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." And Paul said, "I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds."

There are plenty of almost Christians in the world and they believe in God. Even the Bible says the demons believe in God and "they tremble". The almost Christian hasn't fully committed to God; they are more content with doing what they want, when they want, and then call on God for help when they can't seem to figure things out. They are a fair-weather Christian. They like their Christianity 'ala carte' (they take what they want and leave the rest behind). And then there are the altogether Christians, of which Paul was one. Altogether Christians are those who serve God with their whole heart, soul and mind; people that let God guide their steps and those who live by faith, no matter the circumstance.

Which one are you? An almost Christian or an altogether Christian?

No comments: