Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wearing A Mask

A close friend of mind has often called me a "hypocrite" because I smile even though I may be hurting inside from other's comments, actions and such. Even through the sickness of this pregnancy (which by the way, doesn't always go away after the first trimester), people have asked, "how do you continue to work and smile while you're on TV?" I've had to admit, I could probably win an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress because I try to not let it show on the air. Then I usually excuse myself to go to the restroom and finish my sickness.

Hypocrisy was as common in Jesus' day as it is today. Jesus frequently referred to hypocrites like in Matthew 23:27-28, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you..outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." But notice it was the religious ones whom Jesus called hypocrites--the ones who claimed to know God--not the prostitutes, drunks, thieves, liars and adulterers.

A "hypocrite" was the word used for a stage actor in the Greek and Roman theatres. Remember learning in high school literature how the actors would put on different masks to show their emotion or mood? So, a hypocrite is one who habitually wears a mask.

So I had to ask myself, am I a hypocrite in any way? Do I "act"? Do I ever slip on a mask to hide how I truly feel? Do I speak words that my life doesn't back up?

When we pray the Lord's Prayer and say, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil," do we really desire to stay away from temptation? When we pray, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us," are we really willing to forgive others as God has forgiven us?

Ask God to reveal any hypocrisy, any hidden sin or pride and to make you righteous inside and out. Throw away the mask-of-the-day!

No comments: