Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Picture of the Inside

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. My eye doctor has a new machine that takes a picture of the inside of the eye ball. Of course my first question was, "Does it hurt?" and the answer is no. But considering my now deceased grandfather had glaucoma and cataracts, I try to have my eyes checked frequently for the possible onset of those two conditions. This machine would give me the answer. After two quick flashes of the machine, which were similar to a camera flash, the pictures were pulled up on a computer screen. The doctor went over his findings and gave me the good news that my eyes look healthy.

I wonder what God sees when He takes a picture of my heart? Surely He sees the things I don't and knows where I'm headed, even when I have no clue. He knows the trials and obstacles that will come my way, all the while knowing how those will make me grow stronger in my faith. In reading I Chronicles 28, King David realizes he won't be the one to build the temple. God tells him it will instead be his son Solomon. David has some wise words for his son in verse 9: "And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of you father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever." So in essence, God DOES take pictures of our hearts; He knows our motives and why we do what we do.

Perhaps its time we ask God to take a picture of our heart and reveal whats inside; make it clear to us His intentions for our life and how we can better serve Him. And when the picture is developed, listen closely to what God has to say about our heart.

1 comment:

OMalley said...

I love the idea of God taking a picture of my heart. I have always thought that good friends leave footprints on your heart that will always remain.

Leonore O'Malley