Monday, March 12, 2007

Me & My Shadow

Baby Will discovered his shadow yesterday. We were playing in the sprinkler Sunday afternoon when Will noticed something following him. He reached down to touch it on the concrete and noticed it would move, too. I had more fun watching him try to "sneak" around his shadow.

It reminded me that we all have our own shadows in life--things we try to run away from, issues we struggle with, or things we try to overcome. It may sound trite to you, but I have 7 pounds I've been trying to lose over the last few months. If I could lose these 7 pounds, I would be back to my college weight, years before I started having children. For some reason, I can't seem to lose them. I think I would be much happier if I did, look much better or at least feel better about the way I looked. The truth is, no one would probably notice and losing the 7 pounds wouldn't necessarily make my life better, easier or prettier.

God wants us to find our contentment and joy in Him and believe every problem, issue or "shadow" that follows us can be dealt with by Him. It may be much easier to run from our shadow or pretend it isn't there, but it always rears its ugly head. Trusting God and handing Him our shadows produces contentment which cannot be negotiated or bought. And when we do so, we see His love for us. Our shadows are much bigger when we don't know how to deal with them. They begin to shrink when we put them in God's capable hands.

No comments: